Just two years ago, I became a momâ€“and it changed everything. Suddenly, going to work from 9-5 5 days a week seemed like torture. I missed my baby and I felt immense guilt about leaving her every day. Weekends were a race around town to get errands done, clean the house, and prep for the upcoming work week. I never truly felt like I was spending quality time with my family.
Sure, I had fantasized about being my own boss, but I always talked myself out of it. After 9 months back at work, I decided to take the risk and start my own business as a marketing consultant. I quit my full time job with no clients, plan, or any idea of how to run a business. For me, the only way I was going to have the time or motivation was to put it all on the line. And letâ€™s be real, there isnâ€™t much time for a â€œside-hustleâ€ when youâ€™re a mom.
Iâ€™m no different than anyone else, I have mouths to feed and bills to pay. I just took the leap and spent my time making connections and looking for opportunities. I started with my first client 20 hours a week at half the rate I anticipated and my second client was at the rate I needed to be working less but still making the same amount as my full-time job.
So now that you know my story, here are some reasons why I think consulting is the perfect career option for moms:
- You decide how much you get paid! So ultimately, you can work less and make more, or the same amount you were making at your full-time job. That means more time for laundry, errands, and cleaning during the week, so you can spend quality time with your babe.
- Itâ€™s really not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Youâ€™re already working hard for someone else, why not work hard for yourself? Thereâ€™s nothing that you canâ€™t figure out or learn about thatâ€™s not on Google. Entrepreneurs often talk about how you have to â€œhustle,â€ but you get to decide how much or how little you want to work.
- You can work from anywhere. You donâ€™t have to go sit in the same cubicle for 40 hours a week. You can work at home, from Starbucks, WeWork, or anywhere that inspires you. I often like to work outside on my deck where I can get fresh air and sunlight.
- You pick your hours. If you prefer to work at nap time or after the kids go to sleep, You Can. My first year, I took 2 days off a week so I could get things done around the house and have some me-time.
- Consulting forces you to grow. Because I work with so many different types of organizations and clients, Iâ€™m always learning and growing.
There are so many reasons why starting your own business is rewarding and allows for more quality time with your family. Iâ€™m so grateful that I took this leap of faith because I get to watch my daughter grow up and be present.
If this sounds like something youâ€™re interested in pursuing, let me know! Iâ€™d love to help other moms live a more well-balanced life.